I’ll refresh tired bodies; I’ll restore tired souls. Jeremiah 31:25 (The Message)
By: Gretchen Speer
A few years ago a friend of mine shared this recipe in our MOPS newsletter. I was really excited to try it because we love lasagna, but I was all for an easier version! This recipe is perfect for those days where you’re gone all day swimming, and want to come home to a meal that is already prepared. Pull some pre-made garlic bread out of the freezer and you are all set! I like using my crockpot more in the summer because it keeps me from having to turn the stove on-which causes our air conditioner to work even harder.
In my menu planning post we talked about cooking up extra ground beef to pull out of the freezer for later. Having some already cooked ground beef in the freezer is about the only thing that could make this recipe even easier!
Lazy Lasagna-in your crockpot!
Makes 8-10 servings
1lb. Ground Beef
12 0z. Pkg egg noodles
32 oz. Jar spagetti sauce
8 oz. mozzarella cheese-shredded
16 0z. cottage cheese
1. Brown beef and drain grease
2. Cook noodles according to package directions
3. Stir spagetti sauce into ground beef
4. Layer one-third of the sauce/beef mixture into the bottome of slow cooker Top with half the noodles, followed by half the cottage cheese and half the mozzarella.
5. Layer in half the remaining sauce followed by all the remaining noodles and cheeses. Top with rest of sauce.
6. Cover and cook on low 3-4 hours.
Make it Healthier Options:
- Use whole wheat penne intead of the egg noodles.
- Use reduced fat or 2% mozzerella cheese.
- Use 93/7 beef or ground turkey instead of the beef.
- Use low fat cottage cheese.
- Instead of using pre made garlic bread, make your own(see recipe below).
Healthier Home Made Garlic Bread
Whole wheat hot dog buns
1 tsp.Italian seasoning
1 tsp. Garlic powder
1 TBS. Parmesean cheese
1/4 cup olive oil
1.Preheat oven to 400
2.Open hotdog buns and lay them on the baking sheet with the inside facing up.
3.In a small bowl mix the olive oil, italian seasoning, garlic powder, and parmesean cheese.
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes.