In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
By: Jennifer Mullen
On New Year’s Day my friend, Stephanie McCratic, at Evolved Mommy posted this amazing article about choosing your One Little Word for the year. The idea is that you chose a word that helps you focus your goals for the year. Or sometimes, like in my case, the word chooses you. Before I even finished reading the article, I knew that my word for 2013 was going to be transition. Having this focus has really changed the trajectory of my year because, I already felt like I was spiraling out of control with all the changes I knew I would face.
I must confess, I was really disappointed that my word would not look pretty on the necklaces that you can purchase to remind you of your One Little Word. Let’s face it, transition sounds like a word that you read in a technical manual, not that you would find etched on a beautiful piece of jewelry. I frantically searched the thesaurus for a more eloquent word, but there was no word that fit my situation better than the word that chose me.
I was so moved by this concept that I asked the MOMS on our writing team to share with you all their One Little Word. Enjoy!
Jennifer’s Word: Transition
I need to stop fighting the change and embrace the transition.
- Transition out of the baby phase of motherhood: no diapers, no crib, no high chairs…
- Transition to having a school aged child. My oldest starts kindergarten this year!
- Transition how I study the bible, in what setting, and with whom. I have felt lead to pursue the LORD though other means beside my Thursday morning studies with my church. Once I gave in to the leading, the LORD has blessed me…that is a whole other post. 🙂
- Transition back to working outside home. I took a part-time job and am loving it.
- Transition with the blog…stay tuned! 🙂
- Transition to other ministries as the LORD is leading me out of some beloved work into other areas.
- Transition for my family as some close family members are preparing to move away.
Gretchen’s Word: Engage
My goals are to:
- Engage my kids and husband in conversations. I want to be more present with them when we talk instead of always multitasking while talking with them.
- Engage in the study of God’s word.
- Engage in friendship. I want to talk to my close friends more. I need to be more intentional in all my relationships.
- Engage in a healthier diet. Less sugar, more REAL foods.
- Engage in exercise.
- Engage in the present instead of always looking ahead.
- Engage in my responsibilities and work as if working for The Lord.
Kerri’s Word: Breathe
This year I hope to…
- Breathe when the changes all around me are overwhelming and I just want to curl up in a ball and cry.
- Breathe in the laughter and sheer delight of my children as I play alongside them
- Breathe in the new culture and language I will be living in.
- Breathe when I’m doing sit-ups and lunges and training my physical body
- Breathe in Scripture and the wisdom of the Holy Spirit as my Source in my time alone with God.
Sarah’s Word: Intentional
In 2013 I will be intentional in the following areas –
- Reading God’s Word – Bible Study – Daily
- Prayer – Daily, Continuous, Focused.
- Loving/Supporting my Husband – date nights, communication.
- Caring for my health and the health of my family – exercise and healthy eating.
- Loving my children – have fun, help them stay on task, be supportive, be kind
- Caring for my home/finances – simplify, organize, upkeep
- Homeschooling – prepare, participate, achieve.
- Serving – as called by God to glorify Him and further his kingdom
Sarah was so intentional about this she even made this poster for herself to post around her house to be a reminder to be intentional. 🙂 Click here: Intentional
Melissa’s Word: Deliberate
- I will be deliberate about planning time with each of my daughters.
- My Bible reading and prayer time will take place – deliberately.
- Character training will be deliberate this year.
- I will continue to exercise deliberately.
- Pictures will be organized and scrapbook albums updated deliberately.
- I will encourage my husband and deliberately work at being his help meet.
And Introducing Dana! Look for her bio next week!
Dana’s Word: Abide
This year I want to:
- Abide in Christ as I read, memorize, and meditate on His Word and maintain a running dialog of prayer throughout my days.
- Abide in my relationship with my husband, making an effort to be truly present during our time together, to serve and encourage him, to “bring him good, not harm all the days of [my] life” (Prov. 31:13).
- Abide in my new role as a mommy, allowing myself to make mistakes and learn from them, cherishing each moment with my baby girl as the days fly so quickly by us.
- Abide in my home with happiness and contentment, making an effort to simplify, organize, and beautify our dwelling place so that it is our haven and a blessing to all who enter it.
- Abide in my physical body, learning to love and accept my new “mommy shape” while striving to stay healthy and strong.
As Stephanie mentioned in her article, Ali Edwards is offering a great online workshop to help you creatively document your year with your One Little Word. It is not to late to sign up. Click here to see the details. Also, there is a Facebook group of women in NWA who are encouraging each other to work through the workshop. Message me if you would like to be apart of this group. They have been posting some great project ideas and are even planning some meet-ups soon.
Even though it is February, it is not too late to think about what you want out of 2013 and where the LORD may want to take you. I encourage you to consider identifying your One Little Word. Share with us your word and some of your goals. We would love to hear from you!